So you’re thinking about hiring a wedding DJ for your Kansas City wedding reception. You pick up the phone or send an email and inquire, “How much do you charge?” Seems like a reasonable first question, right? Not really!
You see, when it comes to hiring a wedding DJ in Kansas City or anywhere, it’s not the same as shopping for a can of corn. Corn is canned under the banner of a number of brand names that are closely priced the same. But, even if you toss the cheapest, generic brand with the black and yellow label into your shopping cart, it’s still guaranteed to be corn and will taste exactly the same as a can of corn that comes from a more expensive, recognizable brand. No surprises here!
Wedding DJs, however, are human and we all know that no two humans are exactly alike. Each has their own distinct style and personality and varying levels of skill, talent, experience and even expertise. So, unlike a half-dozen brands of canned corn sitting on the grocery store shelf, not every wedding DJ is going to “taste (perform) exactly the same” nor is there any guarantee, whether you spend a little or a lot, that just any wedding DJ you throw into your shopping cart is capable of delivering the results you want, need or expect. There could be some big, unpleasant surprises when you “open the can” …if you don’t know the right questions to ask before getting to price.
Before making an inquiry, be prepared. You and your fiancé should have an idea of:
• How much you have budgeted for all aspects of your wedding reception
• Your top priorities (i.e.: food, flowers, décor, entertainment, etc.)
• Whether you need assistance with ceremony music and the wedding reception
• Your preferred wedding date
• Your vision for your wedding reception (NOTE: Try to come up with at least 3 adjectives that best describe how you want your wedding reception to be. If you have trouble—getting help is one reason why you’re hiring a professional wedding DJ!)
During the wedding DJ interview, know what to expect.
Quality, professional wedding DJs will spend the first 20 minutes or so of an initial consultation getting to know more about you and your fiancé and your specific wants and needs. Don’t let that part of the process intimidate you. It’s the only way they can offer fun ideas that fit your personality and style and determine how and if their services will best satisfy your needs.
Be wary of wedding DJs who immediately begin their conversation with you by talking about themselves, their services or their music library and equipment. Just because a wedding DJ has the tools to do the job, doesn’t mean they have the talent, skill or business acumen to come close to meeting your expectations or that they will devote the necessary time to provide you and your bride or groom-to-be with an extraordinary experience or a memorable occasion.
Here Are Our TOP 25,
Kansas City WEDDING DJ INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
To Ask BEFORE Price And Why!
1. Do you have our wedding date open?
2. How long have you been a wedding DJ?
3. At how many weddings have you performed?
4. Are you a certified Wedding Entertainment Director®?
Visit the Wedding Entertainment Directors® website to learn more about the value of contracting a certified WED® for your wedding reception.
5. Is DJing your full-time job?
6. Have you worked at our venue before?
7. What, if any, are the entertainment or sound challenges of our venue?
(i.e.: acoustics, room layout, etc.)
8. How will you overcome those challenges?
9. Will you conduct a venue walk-through with us to discuss the proper room layout?
10. Can you/will you help us create a timeline and flow for our wedding reception?
How essential is it to keep your guests engaged? Read “5 Elements For An Extraordinary Wedding Reception | Part 1” on the Ron Ruth Wedding Entertainment blog. Learn more about the importance of planning in “5 Elements For An Extraordinary Wedding Reception | Part 2.”
11. How far in advance of our reception will you begin working with us on planning?
12. How often and how many times will you meet with us prior to our wedding reception?
13. Are there limits to the number of times we can contact you for assistance?
Certified Wedding Entertainment Director® and Kansas City wedding DJ, Ron Ruth of Ron Ruth Wedding Entertainment, takes you behind the scenes of a professional DJ’s extraordinary wedding reception preparation in an interview on PolkaDotBride.com, “A Look At The Cost Of A Wedding MC & DJ.”
14. Are you a member of any wedding and/or DJ industry association(s)?
15. If so, does your association require you to satisfy yearly education requirements?
16. What specialized DJ, Master of Ceremonies or wedding training have you completed?
17. What is the most creative or personalized touch you’ve added to a wedding reception?
Explore the value of imagination when adding personal touches to your wedding reception in the Ron Ruth Wedding Entertainment blog article “5 Elements Of An Extraordinary Wedding Reception | Part 4.”
18. Do you have video examples of you in performance?
19. How involved can we be in music selection?
20. If you don’t have a song that we want, do we need to provide it or will you get it?
21. Do you have back-up equipment available on-site?
22. Are you the DJ that will be performing at our event?
Will you GUARANTEE that in writing?
23. If you are not the DJ performing at our reception,
can we meet the DJ who will be performing BEFORE signing a contract?
Making certain that a wedding DJ provides you with a signed contract is essential in protecting your best interest. Read “10 Wedding Contract Tips From Rock Legend David Lee Roth” on the Ron Ruth Wedding Entertainment blog
24. Do you have liability insurance?
25. Do you contract more than one client per weekend or per weekend day?
How many weddings will you do the weekend and/or the day of our wedding?
After the interview is complete, ask yourselves:
• Did we feel heard?
• Does the DJ understand our vision?
• Do we have confidence in the DJ’s talent and expertise?
• Was there a good connection and did our personalities mesh well?
Listen to your gut. If an interview doesn’t feel right, then maybe that person just isn’t a good fit for you. Your wedding DJ is someone you’ll be spending a great deal of time with and who will be representing you every time they speak on a microphone. So it’s extremely important to pick someone who’s compatible with you and your fiancé and, above all, someone you like and who makes you feel confidant that he or she will give you their all.
Now that you’re satisfied that the wedding DJ(s) you’ve interviewed are right for you, it’s time for the big question of “How much do you charge?” There may be some disparity in fees based on skill, talent, experience, creativity and demand that you’ll need to weigh against your budget. But the good news is, since you’ve done your homework and asked the right questions, you’ll be able to select the best Kansas City wedding DJ for you. And, just like opening a can of corn, you’ll be less likely to come across any disappointing surprises.
Have a question you’d like to ask or add to our list? You’re invited to leave them in the comments!
Let’s get together and talk about how you’d like to celebrate your happiness with an unforgettably fun, Kansas City wedding reception. Click the link below and request your personal, no-obligation consultation today!